Saturday, August 18, 2007

I Love Karaoke: Review of 2nd on 2nd

One thing everyone should know about me is that I love to sing. I sing early and often - because of this, I love to karaoke. I have a group of friends that share this love and we have been to a lot of Karaoke Bars in NYC to suss out the best locations. Last night we went to 2nd on 2nd for a friend's Birthday Party and tried out their Karaoke.

Ultimately the verdict was that we need to keep looking. While we appreciated the spotlight and center-stage effect of the bar, the song book left something to desire (no "Since U Been Gone?!!), the drinks were kind of expensive for what they were, and the talent/entertainment beyond our group was non-existent.

So far we really like Izu Lounge for their extensive books, great mix of singers/silly/awesome people/ and their overall vibe. Unfortunately, their mics kind of suck and their Bartenders patrol the requests so they are spaced out more evenly. This is fine normally, but they will bump people in front of you even if you've been waiting for an hour already. Not cool.

So.... 2nd on 2nd was ok, but not great, I would go back there again but I probably wouldn't recommend it to anyone. On that same note (pun intended). If anyone knows of a good K-bar please let me know!

6 comments:

Irish and Jew said...

it's the WORST when the mic's suck. I went to Spotlight 25 in times square for a coworkers b-day and you will not be surprised to hear that it sucked, i'm sure ;)

The problem was that the backup singers (who were very talented) totally overpowered everyone, even the really good singers!

-Jew

americanfooligan@gmail.com said...

Planet Rose on 13 & A is solid. They have wireless mics and tv's in multiple rooms so you can croon yourself around the bar if you so please.

Lynn said...

That sounds fun! Any suggestions for us Midtown peeps? We like to sing til Dawn and sometimes it is a little difficult to get back to our apts. from waaayyy over on the alphabet avenues!!

But I will definitely try it out ;)

Chuck said...

No "Since U Been Gone"? Why even bother? So what's your backup song? I'm partial to "Dreamweaver".

Lynn said...

Dreamweaver is way too slow! I always like a good "Son of a Preacher Man" ( which I did) and then I did "You Outta Know". But I recently added "Not Ready to Make Nice" and that song kinda kicks...

But yeah, I thought it was really weird they didn't have that song. And their system was computerized so it wasn't like we looked in the wrong place or anything.

DrunkBrunch said...

Hi, I'm late to the party (story of my life), but wanted to say that you and I like to sing the same karaoke songs!

I sang a very angry "You Oughta Know" for Todd's bachelor karaoke party... bad choice, in retrospect...